Whales All Week
What an amazing spring week on our whale watching and wildlife tours. It’s early in the season and we are already running tours from both Snug Harbor Resort and downtown Friday Harbor. We are having a blast sharing the whales and wildlife with our guests. It seems each week is getting better and better on the water and we are amazed that we continue to have whales almost every day!
We have a special all day tour this Sunday, April 23rd. Our all day tours are always an epic adventure. We never know what we will see when we leave the dock, but with 6-8 hours ahead of us we are able to get to places we normally can’t go in a 3 hour tour. We’ve have 3 seats available. If you are interested please call 360-378-7996.
Highlights from this week:
- We saw hundreds of Long-tail ducks. We only see them in the winter and spring months and this spring we have seen them in big numbers.
- We encountered thousands of Bonaparte’s gulls. We see them only on their migration, so only a few weeks in the spring and fall each year.
- There are a lot of Steller sea lions in the area, including this one feasting on a skate outside Friday Harbor. We typically only have Steller sea lions in the San Juan Islands area from September through May and are seeing tons of them right now!
- We found some of the first Humpback whales arriving for their summer feeding season.
- And of course, we saw Orcas. We’ve had a great week with multiple families of Transient (Bigg’s) Killer Whales.
We offer daily departures for small group tours and private charters from Snug Harbor Resort and downtown Friday Harbor. Please call (360) 378-7996 or email us to book your whale watch and wildlife tour.